Area Manager - Northern Europe
SuperGroup plc is the owner of Superdry, which is rapidly becoming a global lifestyle brand. Superdry focuses on offering our customers around the world innovative, premium quality and affordable clothing and accessories across menswear, womenswear and specialist ranges. Superdry customers are loyal, varied and truly global, and are defined not by their age but by their attitude.
Superdry was launched in the UK in 2003 following an inspirational trip by our founders to Tokyo, and is famous for designing and producing quality garments inspired by fusing iconic vintage Americana and high-impact Japanese graphic imagery with a British twist. Our products are characterised by quality fabrics with authentic vintage washes, unique detailing, world-leading hand-drawn graphics, and tailored fits with diverse styling. As we continue to develop the breadth and nature of our product ranges, we increasingly appeal to a broader group of customers, aspirational people who want to feel amazing in what they wear and appreciate style, quality and attention to detail.
We operate a fast-growing multi-channel business through a combination of standalone stores, franchised and licensed stores, concessions, ecommerce, wholesale and distributors. We are growing fastest outside of the UK and our international business is going from strength to strength. We now own and operate stores in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Sweden and the USA, with franchised stores in many more countries. We have nearly 600 points of sale in over 45 different countries and are adding to this at a rate of over 50 new locations annually. We have also entered a joint venture with Trendy International Group in China which will launch Superdry stores into the Chinese market.
Our global headquarters are based in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK and we have satellite offices in Aarhus, Barcelona, Brussels, Hong Kong, Munich and New York, with specialist sourcing offices in Istanbul and New Delhi. Our biggest growth area is online, where we operate ecommerce websites in over 20 different languages and ship to almost every country in the world.
Our ambition for growth is summarised by our strategic plan which will provide opportunities to drive significant increases in revenue. Our plan focuses on three key areas - building a global lifestyle brand; driving awareness of the breadth of the Superdry range; and building a broad cross-channel relationship with customers. It’s supported by the four key pillars of Embed, Enable, Extend and Execute, which define exactly how we will go about achieving our aims. As our product is at the very heart of what Superdry is all about, we are also focusing hard on our four key product attributes - design detail; quality obsession; innovation; and affordability. More about the detail of our strategic plan, together with our latest business and financial results, can be found on our corporate website www.supergroup.co.uk.
We aspire to be a great place to work and strive every day to make every Superdry store and office location a friendly community with a family feel, with fantastic training and development, and roles that are compelling, stretching and interesting. You can see films of many real Superdry colleagues from across the business talking about their experiences of working here on our careers website, www.careers.superdry.com.
The Superdry brand is a genuine British success story that has grown to a turnover of £750m, £87m profit and a strategic plan in place that will make us a £1bn company by 2020. We are a multichannel operator with well-developed and highly successful retail, ecommerce, wholesale and franchise businesses and customers in virtually every country in the world. We are well on our way to achieving our goal of becoming a truly global digital brand.
As an Area Manager, you will manage and assume overall responsibility for twelve stores across Denmark, Sweden and Northern Germany. Providing effective and inspirational leadership to the Store Managers and their teams, you will support and enable them to reach stretching sales, profitability and operational goals, while maintaining control of the area budget.
- Engage with Store Managers and store teams to deliver enhanced performance and profitability, developing highly motivated and high performing teams who consistently deliver strong results.
- Set robust and challenging KPIs for stores, providing clear direction and ensuring clear links between KPIs and individual and team performance, and monitor performance against these KPIs.
- Understand what good, great and underperformance looks like, and work with Store Managers to develop business plans to address and manage any issues effectively.
- Develop an in depth understanding of store performance, the local market demographics, brand performance and local challenges, and plan future area strategy in this context.
- Drive and deliver consistent Superdry brand standards and brand experience through effective visual merchandising, store look and feel, and customer service standards in store.
- Ensure that tight levels of stock control are maintained at all times and drive continuous improvement in stockroom processing and replenishment procedures.
- Seek opportunities to enhance and improve store operational practice whilst retaining compliance with company standards and expectations.
- Manage Store Manager performance through timely and constructive feedback and coaching, and support manages with such activities as recruitment and team development.
- Develop a local talent pipeline to ensure full succession and talent plans are in place for store management teams, taking action to address succession gaps.
- Manage and operate within agreed area staffing budgets and seek opportunities to control costs.
- Ensure head office initiatives are implemented effectively across the area as required.
- Highly experienced working in multi-site (area or regional) management level roles in the fashion retail sector.
- Knowledgeable on the cultural variances between Denmark, Sweden and Germany. It is highly desirable that you will have a basic understanding of common rules and practice in these countries.
- An inspirational and highly effective leader of people, able to lead others by setting clear expectations, then inspiring and engaging the team to deliver amazing results.
- Experienced in coaching others to achieve by allowing managers to manage and providing them with the freedom to act.
- Able to work effectively in an autonomous role whilst retaining regular links with other Area Managers and the Head of Retail.
- Highly analytical, able to analyse KPI and P&L reports to identify opportunities to improve individual and overall store performance.
- Able to effectively plan, prepare and follow up on all store visits to ensure clear direction for store management teams.
- Able to challenge constructively, identify opportunities to make improvements to the wider business and influence others to make them happen.
- Passionate, energetic, motivated, enthusiastic and in love with the Superdry brand.
- Keen to work within a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where change is constant.
- Hard working and relentless in the pursuit of excellence, with a never-give up approach.
- Comfortable with regular travel across the region, ideally residing in close proximity to Stockholm, Copenhagen or Hamburg.
- Fluent in at least one of the local languages (ideally more than one), alongside business level English.